Mesh reuse and simulation extension functionalities
This tutorial is based on the glider plane SimWorks tutorial to analyse the mesh reuse capability of SimWorks which allows to duplicate a completed simulation, change some parameters and complete a new simulation without the need to repeat the long meshing phase.
Also we will cover the possibility within SimWorks of extending a completed simulation adding a few iterations at the end of it, if the CFD simulation has not completely converged. Both those funtionalities are designed to save to the user a significant amount of time.
We will start from the completed glider tutorial, duplicate the simulation and increase the flow speed reusing the original mesh. At the end of the second simulation we will
SimWorks allows the user to duplicate a simulation which has been already defined and then it is possible to modify it. It is now also possible to duplicate simulations which have completed the mesh stage and reuse the existing mesh, for instance when the user wants to change a boundary conditions without the need to rerun the mesh phase.
A new simulation will appar with the Setup and the Mesh phases completed, when can now modify the setup parameter keeping the same mesh completed before
- The Setup and Mesh phases are already completed 100%
- Define the End iteration as 100 and Output interval of 10 (this is required to evaluate the run extension phase)
- Define the Boundary condtions type layering and define the inlet velocity as 50 m/s
- Run the simulation
- Click yes when prompted to rerun the Setup phase, in this way all the simulation parameters will be updated
SimWorks will rerun the Setup phase updating all the simulation parameters and will run straight away afterwards the simulation with the new parameters
Extend a simulation
- The simulation has not fully converged (still the absolute value of the residuals is too high and the residuals are still reducing)
- Increase the End iteration to 300
- Run the simulation
- Again press Yes when promted to rerun the Setup phase to update the simulation parameters
The simulation has now fully converged after 170 iterations, SimWorks will automatically stop the simulation once it has converged.
We can now load up the 2 simulations results to check the effect of increasing the flow speed, for instance looking at the pressure (legend set between -500 Pa and +500 Pa). As expected the level of suction on the glider wings is roughly 4 times bigger than in the fist case, ince it increases with the square of the speed
Download SimWorks and activate a free 14-day trial or contact us to find out more